Indian Post Office plays a major role in several official and personal works even today! Though we are technically advanced, Postal Department has maintained its consistency.
The Director-General of Posts, New Delhi administers The Postal Department. India is divided into 16 postal circles under the postmaster general. Further, Post Offices have been classified into three categories, i.e., Head Post Offices, Sub-Post offices and E.D. Branch Post Offices.
It is essential to have an idea about the timings of Post Offices in India, so that, you could accordingly plan your work and visit the post office without waiting for long hours or returning without doing the work.
Timings and working shifts at Indian Post Offices you must know about:
In general, the working hours of the Post Offices are from 8 AM to 4 PM. But the timing may extend under the instruction of Director General of Posts for certain cases.
- Post Offices remain closed on Sundays except for the Night Post Offices.
- Post Offices remain closed on public holidays as well.
- Post Offices remain opened on Saturday Except Gazetted Holidays
- Working hours of post office on Saturday is same as like other Days.
- Apart from the public holidays, the post offices across the country remain closed for another five days, but the day of holidays varies from circle to circle.
- Lunch hours vary from circle to circle, but the usual lunch timing is from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM.
|Monday||8 AM to 4 PM|
|Tuesday||8 AM to 4 PM|
|Wednesday||8 AM to 4 PM|
|Thursday||8 AM to 4 PM|
|Friday||8 AM to 4 PM|
|Saturday||8 AM to 4 PM|
Important Notes: If you wish to avoid the crowd at the Post Office and get your work done easily, you must know the opening timing. Avoid plans to visit the post office just before lunch hour. After the lunch hour, the post office will get highly crowded.
Get an idea about the post office in your region and make sure to get your work done without any trouble! You must also have the idea about the holidays so that you could set your works accordingly!